Will you return to this blog?

Friday, July 29, 2011

I will follow......but

As I was reading the autobiography of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen in Treasure in Clay, a statement struck home for me that I would like to further explore.  In the chapter of Desiring the Episcopacy, Archbishop writes:

"The church is always judged by the bishops; that is the lesson of the Book of Revelation.  And in many instances in which St. John writes about  these churches, he said:  "I know your works," that is your administration, finances, social service and schools.  I know all of these--then there comes a "but"...What was forgotten was love of Christ, or orthodoxy, or self-denial.  I once heard a preacher who was developing the theme about the three young men who where called by Our Lord.  Each of them said:  "I will go, but...." and then each gave an excuse.  The preacher ended up by saying:  "It seems that many people are going to Hell on their 'buts'." Well here there is a "but", such as lost love, a cold church or allowing false prophets to teach" (Treasure in Clay, The Autobiography of Fulton J. Sheen; ch. Desiring the Episcopacy, pp. 105-106). 

My observation of today's Church (Catholics believe that the Church is made up of the Head and the Body of Christ with the head being Jesus Christ and the Body being the members of the Church), is a loss of complete surrender of self in exchange for complete surrender of our self will for the will of God in our lives, a trust in God that all things will be provided for the good of God's Church and it's people.  Today there seems to be a sense of false control.  Society seems to believe, in my opinion that they control their own destiny; but, there is one problem with a false sense of control of ones own destiny.  Depending on self and not God will lead to a fate devoid of Jesus, which undoubtedly in my witness and in my opinion has and will continue to lead souls into a life that is empty and unfulfilled---the loss of love of Christ and the will of God is a delusion of control of our own destiny. 

Jesus is the way, the truth and the life that leads to true joy and peace.  And for me it's very disheartening that this world has lost their direction for the love of God and for one another.  It seems that the saying is true, we are sliding into Hell's home plate on our "buts".  An unwillingness to follow Jesus without reservation seems to be the societal norm as I see it.  I will follow, but.......and the excuses come.

No comments:

Post a Comment