As Fr. Robert Rousseau states in the video commentary (http://www.usccb.org/video/reflections.shtml) on the readings of Mt 14:1-12 for today, he says John the Baptist was not politically correct. John the Baptist was not concerned with what others would say or think of him. He spoke only the truth, because he knew ultimately only the truth would set people free. How often are we afraid to stand up for the truth when controversial topics come up? How often do we remain silent and let those speaking untruths dominate the conversation and not stand up for what is the truth taught by Jesus and the Church? We are called to share the truth in love with others. We are called to be a witness of the truth regardless of the consequences, but, how often do we allow pride to prevent us from speaking the truth? Am I afraid of what people will think of me if I speak up? Am I willing to say yes to Jesus and speak out against untruth's and injustice?
These are the questions I asked myself and I didn't have to think very long to realize that like Herod I too am often afraid to speak out against untruth's or injustice, because of fear of what others will think of me, but, not always, it mostly depends on a number of variables. Number one, whose the audience?, number two, has the person(s) rejected the truth in the past?, and number three are they open to hear the truth, only to name a few. Today's Gospel speaks to me in my own life in that I have a right to speak the truth and not be afraid of it. It is not my responsibility that everyone agree with me or accept the truth. Just as the person has the right to disagree, I have the right to speak the truth in love. Once the truth is out there, it is not my responsibility that it's accepted or agreed upon, rather it is the other's responsibility to do what they will with the information given. Jesus is calling me to be not afraid and to say yes to being a witness for the truth regardless of the consequences. I must remember that Jesus is always with me and I do not have to be afraid. Blessed are those that are persecuted for Jesus' sake, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs is a comforting promise and I would do good to carry my Cross, even when it's painful and seems to be a heavy burden to carry. How is Jesus speaking to you in the Gospel stated below? Are you afraid to speak up for the truth for fear of being rejected?
Mt 14:1-12
Herod the tetrarch heard of the reputation of Jesus
and said to his servants, “This man is John the Baptist.
He has been raised from the dead;
that is why mighty powers are at work in him.”
Now Herod had arrested John, bound him, and put him in prison
on account of Herodias, the wife of his brother Philip,
for John had said to him,
“It is not lawful for you to have her.”Although he wanted to kill him, he feared the people,
for they regarded him as a prophet.
But at a birthday celebration for Herod,
the daughter of Herodias performed a dance before the guests
and delighted Herod so much
that he swore to give her whatever she might ask for.
Prompted by her mother, she said,
“Give me here on a platter the head of John the Baptist.”
The king was distressed,
but because of his oaths and the guests who were present,
he ordered that it be given, and he had John beheaded in the prison.
His head was brought in on a platter and given to the girl,
who took it to her mother.
His disciples came and took away the corpse
and buried him; and they went and told Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment