The Gospel reading today in Matthew speaks to me in this way. Jesus comes to us when we are in the storms of our lives even before we call upon him, but, do I trust him enough to follow him when he calls my name? Do I believe that Jesus is truly present in my life? Jesus is always there for us, but, it's very difficult for some to believe the inspired divine Word of God and the Teachings of Jesus and of the Holy Spirit unless they can see or understand the mysteries of God. The mysteries will not be understood by our finite human minds, that's why they are mysteries. Peter and the others could not understand how Jesus could be walking on the water, he must be a ghost. When Jesus called Peter to come to him, Peter had faith as long as he kept his eye on Jesus. With Jesus he could do the impossible, like walk on water. The minute he took his eyes off of Jesus and tried to reason how this could be happening, then doubt crept into his mind, then he began to sink. When we try to figure out our purpose in life apart from Jesus and we doubt his power to save us or to take care of us we too begin to sink, sometimes even drown. Like a lot of the world today they doubt the truth of God, his commandments and the teachings of the Church Jesus founded. Jesus has given us the way, the truth and the life in order that we might live. He is calling each of us to trust him and not doubt the truth in the Word of God, his Church, it's teachings and traditions. God is calling us now, tomorrow may be too late. We are called to love him with all our hearts and to love our neighbor as we love ourselves in order that we the believers can renew the life of the Church today with our love, tomorrow may be too late. Let us be confident that God's Word is truth and have faith that we can do all things that seem impossible to Man, but, are possible for God. A renewal of our Faith in God and his Word, begins by examining ourselves, our own sins and having a spirit of true repentance. Faith is a single minded obedience to God. For me it is what God says it is, no reason to question it. I am confident in the Lord's love for me and know that his way of life is good, holy and true. Now let us pray for a revival of faith in the one and only God, one God in three divine persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. If someone is open to hear there is nothing we say that is wrong, but, if someone is not open to hear there is nothing we can say right. And even though I do not know what is best for other people, God does and he is calling us to be holy, as the Father is holy. Apart from God we can do nothing. Blessed Pope John Paul II said, the Gospel should not be hidden because of fear. So, let us stand up for the truth and be the light in a world that is thirsting for the truth, but, refuses to hear it. "Today let us acknowledge that Jesus truly is the Son of God, that he truly is the Great I am. Let us have the faith that Peter did not have, let's ask the Lord to strengthen our faith that in all situations, that when we feel that we are sinking in someway that Jesus is there to save us, watch over and protect us. So, today let us believe in the Son of God. Let's have the faith that Jesus is leading us to Heaven where we will have glory with all the Saints in Heaven, Amen." (August 2, 2011 Daily Reflection Video at http://www.usccb.org/video/reflections.shtml).
How is this Gospel speaking to you in your life? Please feel free to share.
Mt. 14:22-36
Jesus made the disciples get into a boat
and precede him to the other side of the sea,
while he dismissed the crowds.
After doing so, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray.
When it was evening he was there alone.
Meanwhile the boat, already a few miles offshore,
was being tossed about by the waves, for the wind was against it.
During the fourth watch of the night,
he came toward them, walking on the sea.
When the disciples saw him walking on the sea they were terrified.
“It is a ghost,” they said, and they cried out in fear.
At once Jesus spoke to them, “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.”
Peter said to him in reply,
“Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.”
He said, “Come.”
Peter got out of the boat and began to walk on the water toward Jesus.
But when he saw how strong the wind was he became frightened;
and, beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!”
Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and caught him,
and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”
After they got into the boat, the wind died down.
Those who were in the boat did him homage, saying,
“Truly, you are the Son of God.”
After making the crossing, they came to land at Gennesaret.
When the men of that place recognized him,
they sent word to all the surrounding country.
People brought to him all those who were sick
and begged him that they might touch only the tassel on his cloak,
and as many as touched it were healed.
We studied this Gospel for this coming Sunday in my CLJ. I love this Gospel and probably my favorite one. To me, this is me, Peter, if I can only keep my eye focused on Jesus and take a step, I will truly find happiness with Jesus. He is my stepping stones. Even though I cannot see those stones in front of me, I need to trust that they are there, set before by my Master, in order to continue reaching out to him.
ReplyDeleteIn my distractions in prayer, I need to remember to return to prayer so that I can give God the glory and praise he deserves and know that I strengthen in him when life's up and downs come into my life.
I am proud to call you my friend- and I know in my heart without a doubt, that you are leading me in the right direction. That you are truly a friend that I can trust, know that no matter what I say or do, you do not judge me and love me through the eyes of Jesus. That is true friendship and I am honored and blessed to call you my friend. And, please know that even though we have our weaknesses and falls - WHEN I LOOK AT YOU- I SEE THE FACE OF JESUS. LOVE YOU!
It is through you my friend that the Lord revealed to me he is living and breathing in each one of us and sometimes in places our finite minds are unable to fathom. I love you deep within my soul and blessed to have you in my life. I am humbled by the Lord's loving me so much he sent you, my dear friend to love.
Delete